user permissions problems

Marnes mmmaaarrrnnneeesss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 21:39:39 UTC 2007

Well,

Try to isolate the problem...

Firstly, create a new user "jimmy2" and try gedit with it.

If works, probably the problem is in .gnome* or .gconf* directories.
So you can rename or delete these directories (in your original
account jimmywu), one by time, to try find where is the problem
(remember to close all running gedit before renaming each directory).
Or you may do
"ls -laR .gnome* .gconf* | grep gedit"
and view each file inside the listed directories to try find some strange flag.

If the test with jimmy2 still doesn't work, the problem may be at
/etc/gnome/ or /etc/gconf/