GoogleDesktop - After 48 hours its only at .1%

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:06:18 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 20:07:50 Wade Smart wrote:
> Felipe Figueiredo wrote:

> > Have you tried removing your .google dir and restarting from scratch? What
> > about uninstalling and re-installing the program?
> >

> I read about the .google file but it hasnt grown.
> I did uninstall and then reinstall - same situation.
> The forums (google) seem to suggest that overall, many on linux
> platforms are finding that its not indexing all files, that its doing so
> slowly, that its sucking massive resources... and while obviously not
> everyone is having this trouble, those who are are not receiving any

I've seen some of those posts, but since that was not what was happening to
me, I didn't bother to read them. But the fact that people are complaining
doesn't mean there's a problem with GDL, or some incompatibility issue. I am
sure I saw at least one complainer using Ubuntu Feisty, which is fully
supported.

I, for one, was sure there was a problem with the program, until I disabled my
firewall. ;-)

I'm sure you are missing something here. Sorry if I can't be more helpful.

You could try creating a fresh account, and test it there. I did try, but
since my problem was with the firewall, it didn't work then, so I almost
dropped GDL for good.

> help on the forums/groups. The one Google post was, "Thank you for
> pointing out our help files are not fully complete." What a useless
> post.

Well, if they indeed provide better documentation, it might not be useless in
the long run.

I do think there could be more troubleshooting information there. Then, again,
since my problems are solved, I gave up looking that up on google (web
search, that is).

> I dont understand why it uses so much ram and cpu? Beagle might
> not be the best but it works.

In my experience, Beagle uses much more. In fact, GDL doens't use much of my
CPU, even when it's idle. Beagle, on the other hand, waited for me to get
idle, then lurked from the shadows and used 100% CPU. Talk about noise from
the cooler...

> I installed GoogleEarth today. I noticed that it too consumed a LOT of
> memory. The interface blanks out much of the time too.  It only is
> happening with Google products but its strange that it is happening on
> my system. With 1G of ram I wouldnt expect this problem(s).  But maybe
> its time for more.

As they say, it's always time for more RAM.

regards
FF

--
- Porque quebra a linha de leitura.
- Por que não é bom escrever o reply em cima do email?