Samba Wont Install-invoke-rc.d: initscript samba, action start" failed

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 12 06:55:43 UTC 2007

 On 07/11/2007 09:38 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Can't install samba due to the issue shown in above subject title
> using "aptitude install".  The first install went with total success
> but decided to purge/install due to some smb.conf issues not being
> able to see ubuntu pc from WXP machine. Using Feisty up-to date.
>
> The Apt error output shown below: ....... Setting up samba
> (3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2) ... Generating /etc/default/samba... * Starting
> Samba daemons...
> [fail] invoke-rc.d: initscript samba, action "start" failed. dpkg:
> error processing samba (--configure): subprocess post-installation
> script returned error exit status 1 Setting up libcrypt-smbhash-perl
> (0.12-1) ... Setting up smbldap-tools (0.9.2-3) ...
>
> Errors were encountered while processing: samba E: Sub-process
> /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) A package failed to install.
> Trying to recover: Setting up samba (3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2) ... *
> Starting Samba daemons...
> [fail] invoke-rc.d: initscript samba, action "start" failed. dpkg:
> error processing samba (--configure): subprocess post-installation
> script returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while
> processing: samba lchata at ubuntu:/etc$ sudo aptitude -f install
>
> Using "sudo aptitude -f install" fix wanted to remove all too much
> for my satisfaction including most all printer cups drivers, mplayer,
> flash, clamav, pdf readers, etc, etc. About at the limits to solve
> this issue without using the -f install thingy, any other
> suggestions/fixes to try.  Any help/suggesions/links most appreciated
> as samba hasn't been nice to me or worked. TIA,
>

> Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

You could try 'aptitude reinstall' sometimes that works.

But because you did a purge, first I'd:

$ aptitude -D show samba

To show the depends. Perhaps reintalling the 'depends' first will fix
the problem.

Depends: samba-common (= 3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2), netbase, logrotate, libacl1
(>=2.2.11-1), libattr1 (>= 2.4.4-1), libc6 (>= 2.5-0ubuntu1), libcomerr2
(>= 1.33-3), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.7), libgnutls13 (>= 1.4.0-0), libkrb53
(>= 1.4.2), libldap2 (>= 2.1.17-1), libpam0g (>= 0.76), libpopt0
(>=1.10), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0,
libpam-runtime (>= 0.76-13.1), libpam-modules, lsb-base (>= 3.0-6),
procps, update-inetd

Currently, the Samba Debian packages consist of the following:

 samba - LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix.
 samba-common - Samba common files used by both the server and the client.
 smbclient - LanManager-like simple client for Unix.
 swat - Samba Web Administration Tool
 samba-doc - Samba documentation.
 samba-doc-pdf - Samba documentation in PDF format.
 smbfs - Mount and umount commands for the smbfs (kernels 2.2.x and above).
 libpam-smbpass - pluggable authentication module for SMB/CIFS password
database
 libsmbclient - Shared library that allows applications to talk to
SMB/CIFS serv
 ers
 libsmbclient-dev - libsmbclient shared libraries
 winbind: Service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT
servers
 python-samba: Python bindings that allow access to various aspects of Samba

 It is possible to install a subset of these packages depending on your
 particular needs. For example, to access other SMB/CIFS servers you
should only
 need the smbclient and samba-common packages.

Added info:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Samba_Server

Thanks, NoOp, for the guick response and tips. It solved the problem.  I did notice that on the new install after the purge that samba-common wasn't mentioned in the output.  So installed samba-common which finished the install of samba, swat and gsambad without error.  Still don't know why aptitude screwed up on the dependencies for just samba-common but seems it did.
Have another related question that probably should be a separate post but here it is and is probably at the heart of why I've never got samba to work for me:
Have a 2 comp lan with my WXP machine connected by a Linksys WMP54G wlan adapter with Wireless Network Connection Properties listing:
Client for MS  Network,
File and Print Sharing,
QoS Packet Scheduler,
AEGIS Protocol(IEEE802.1x) and
Internet Protocol, all checked but not sure they are installed(some properties buttons are greyed out).  I can't determine if it's set up as server or client.
My question is:  which is best to have, Client for Microsoft Networks or Samba set as server. Pretty sure I don't need TCP/IP ver 6 but what about QoS Packet Scheduler and AEGIS Protocol which are entirely new to me?  Feel kinda stupid asking WXP questions on Ubuntu list but feel I'll get a better answer from someone using both Ubuntu and WXP.
My Ubuntu Feisty maching is direct wired to the 2Wire 1701HG Wireless router/modem(DSL) combo and generally works well on both machines.  I have the default smb.conf since the reinstall and shall keep it as such until I get more info on the proper setup.  Although I have done a lot of googling I haven't come across the Ubuntu prefered smb.conf.  Ahhh, just checked out your other link which will help a lot.  You can see I'm not very savy on networking or samba, but can generall edit/modify the conf. files if I just knew what was correct.  Would be great if someone would share their smb.conf file with me for a Ubuntu/WXP lan doing file and printer sharing(either on list or direct email).  Bet some other networking/samba dummy like me would appreciate it.  Or maybe there aren't any like me, Ha, Ha.
Thanks for any tips, suggestions, links or conf files and I'll post this info separately if suggested.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net