user permissions problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 11 00:59:38 UTC 2007

On 07/10/2007 05:10 PM, Jimmy Wu wrote:
> doing the grep as you said gives: adm:x:4:jimmywu,guest
> dialout:x:20:cupsys,jimmywu,guest cdrom:x:24:haldaemon,jimmywu,guest
> floppy:x:25:haldaemon,jimmywu,guest audio:x:29:jimmywu,guest
> dip:x:30:jimmywu,guest video:x:44:jimmywu
> plugdev:x:46:haldaemon,jimmywu,guest
> scanner:x:104:cupsys,hplip,jimmywu,guest netdev:x:112:jimmywu
> lpadmin:x:113:jimmywu powerdev:x:115:haldaemon,jimmywu
> admin:x:117:jimmywu fuse:x:119:jimmywu jimmywu:x:1000:jimmywu,root
>
> I am listed under admin:x:117 I will try logging out and back in
> after I send this email
>
> @James - launching gedit from the Applications menu won't let me
> save, nor will launching it from the terminal as just plain "gedit".
> Only starting gedit as sudo (or gksu) lets me save files. This is
> extremely annoying, as I should be able to save files to my own home
> directory while logged on as me, without bothering about sudo root
> privileges
>
> - Jimmy

Not an answer as to why/why not, but perhaps a workaround would be to
edit the start command in gedit so that it always starts as root.
Particuarly since you are the only user:

Right-click 'Applications'
 Select 'Edit Menus'
  Select 'Accessories'
   Right-click 'Text Editor' and select Properties
Change 'Command: gedit %U' to 'Command: gksu gedit %U'