Can't get IP by DHCP (Wired network)

Dmitry Bond imperator.bm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 20:13:52 UTC 2007

Hello, George.

You wrote:

> I pretty much doubt it that your Ubuntu dhcp configuration is the problem....

> Using network manager.....re-configure eth0 for dhcp (don't worry if it work)

> [Then focus on modem]

> Check modem configurations to see if any restrictions on
> leases....netmast config, range config.

> Also see if you can "reset to default settings" using your laptop. Not just restarting it.

> George

Done that. Reset to factory defaults. The modem even forgot the
frequencies that it worked on (So it needed about 5 min to find the
frequencies and detect the signal). I really believe, that it resets
everything.

No restrictions. And the modem 'sees' my laptop (and laptop sees the
modem too of course). It gets its MAC in the cache as soon as it tries
to connect.

After that I restarted networking. Dhcp client showed me:

imperator at imperator-laptop:~$ sudo dhclient
Password:
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:16:36:4d:cf:3a
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:16:36:4d:cf:3a
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

imperator at imperator-laptop:~$

Sooo... As I see, nothing happens. As far as I understand this log,
the dhcp client screams for some response, but doesn't get it for some
reason.

Does ubuntu cache some routes or connections somewhere? Because its
fishy, that it stopped working at all (even giving me SOME ip at all,
not 0.0.0.0) after repeatedly plugging/unplugging the cable. Can I
reset those entries? Maybe I need to reinstall ubuntu?

--
Best regards,
 Dmitry                          mailto:Imperator.bm at gmail.com