setting up diskless clients

Kailesh MUSSAI kmussa at cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Jul 9 18:40:18 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am setting up diskless clients for the university.  I used mkinitramfs
to create an initramfs image.  Below is my initramfs.conf:

MODULES=netboot
BUSYBOX=y
BOOT=nfs
DEVICE=eth0
NFSROOT=auto

Tested with one client, downloads both the kernel and initramfs fine,
kernel boots up and initramfs kicks in too.  The nfs scripts in
initramfs starts up but was not able to get an IP as the module for the
network device was not loaded.  Once I added:

modprobe -q "MODULENAME" in the nfs scripts then it's work fine.

My question is does anyone know how to make it generic( i.e to load the
module automatically ) as I have all kinds of hardware to cater for?

Would appreciate any help on this?

Best regards,
Kailesh Mussai