Keyring Access??

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:18:45 UTC 2007

It could be because networking starts before Gnome loads.  If it's
specifically asking for the root password, that would be my guess.  I
installed pam-keyring right away, before this was a problem for me, so
I don't know.  The wiki page at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo in the "Avoiding
password nagging" section has directions for setting it up.  The
downside (or benefit for some people) is that the keyring password
must be the same as the user's password.

On 7/9/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Mike Adolf wrote:
>
> > When booting my laptop (Feisty Fawn) I get a dialog stating:
> >
> > "nm-applet wants access to keyring, but it is locked"
> >
> > and requests the root password.
> >
> > What is a keyring and how can I stop that dialog from coming up during
> > boot? It started appearing after I got the wlan working.
>
> The keyring contains your pass-phrases.  I guess you're using a WEP or WPA
> encrypted WLAN.  Why that comes up before gnome starts, though, I can't
> say.
> --
> derek

Joel Goguen