Printer Sharing Problem

Mike Adolf mlnx at mho.com
Mon Jul 9 15:40:19 UTC 2007

I just installed ubuntu 7.04 on my Averatec 3150 laptop. Every thing
works except adding the printer.  The HP c5180 printer I want to add is
directly connected to my desktop machine, also running 7.04. In the
System->Administration->Printing window I Have Global Settings = Shared.

On my laptop I Add a printer using the "New Printer" icon from
System->Administration->Printing window. I have "Detect Lan Printer"
checked, but no printer detected. So, I select "Network Printer" and
have tried both ipp://<host>/printers/<name> and
http://<host>/printers:631/<name>.  I select driver PhotoSmart-C5100,
the same one I am using on my desktop machine.  Each time it appears
that the printer is added. When I try to print, the print window says
"Job Printing" but nothing happens.

I can ping in both directions between my laptop and desktop. On my
desktop both services (cupsys) and (hplib) are activated. My laptop is
dual boot and printing (SMB) from XP works great.

What am I missing something?

Mike