usb external hard drive won't automount

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 8 19:04:58 UTC 2007

On 07/08/2007 11:20 AM, Default User wrote:

> The solution was to repartition, reformat,and relabel the drive.  Now it
> automounts again. But it still won't unmount by right clicking the drive
> icon on the desktop and selecting "eject" from the resulting drop down
> menu. The only way to unmount the drive is to do so manually, by opening
> a terminal window and entering:
>
> sudo umount -t ext3 /media/backup
>
> But a usb flash drive automounts just fine, and unmounts by right clicking
> the drive icon on the desktop and selecting "eject" from the resulting drop down
> menu. So why won't the usb external hard drive? Has anyone else run into this?
>>
> Note: the icon drop down menu "properties" selection shows the usb hard
> disk as "external: yes" and "removable no". A usb flash drive shows as
> "external: yes" and "removable: yes (ejectable)".
>
> So, how can the usb hard drive be made to unmount without opening a
> terminal and manually typing in a command, just as the usb flash drive
> does. (Yes, I have tried changing owner and group permissions. Doesn't
> solve the problem.

Related bugs that might (or might not) be helpful:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+source/hal/+bug/63090
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/99498

Not sure, but perhaps it is a plugdev group issue?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive
<quote>
or in a more flexible way, practical if you have several users, allow
for instance the users in the plugdev group (usually those who are meant
to be able to mount removable disks, desktop users) to create files and
sub-directories on the disk:

    *   sudo chgrp plugdev /media/mynewdrive
        sudo chmod g+w /media/mynewdrive
        sudo chmod +t /media/mynewdrive

The last "chmod +t" adds the sticky bit, so that people can only delete
their own files and sub-directories in a directory, even if they have
write permissions to it (see man chmod).
</quote>