VNC programs

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 8 17:18:18 UTC 2007

On 07/08/2007 08:21 AM, David Vincent wrote:
> Pete Holsberg wrote:
>> I'm looking for a VNC client and server that will allow me to transfer
>> files between a Ubuntu 7.04 and a Win XP.
>>

> Which is the client and which is the server?  If XP is the server you
> can use TightVNC.  Get the latest version from http://www.tightvnc.com
> (1.3.9) and use the Windows VNC Viewer on the Ubuntu Client under WINE.
> Then you can use the file transfer option in the toolbar.  I've done
> this, it works but isn't very graceful.  I believe Ultr at VNC also does this.
>
> Afaik the Linux version of TightVNC does not support file transfers.
>
> -d

UltraVNC (http://www.uvnc.com/) on the XP machine and krdc (sudo apt-get
install krdc) on the Ubuntu machine are the best combinations that I've
found yet. You can run UltraVNC in WINE on the Ubuntu machine for remote
file transfer between the two, but the interface sometimes has problems
in WINE. TightVNC or Gnome-RDP only have scrollbars that go one way
(down, then you have to click like crazy to scroll back up), and the
interfaces are primative compared to krdc. Krdc on the other hand has
scrollbars that work both directions and a very nice full screen feature.

So, if I need to transfer files I bring up UltraVNC on the Ubuntu, then
revert back to krdc for everything else. Hint on UltraVNC on the XP; you
can have the server run as a service so that you can log in on reboot,
however change the default port to something else so the machine isn't
such an easy troll target. Also, if you don't need it to run as a
service at boot, then turn it off & set up a desktop icon and then tell
the user to turn it on when needed and turn if off when finished.