problem with Xorg

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Jul 6 20:03:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 15:48 -0400, Jimmy Wu wrote:
> sktsee - I took your advice and set the driver back to nv, but before
> X would work again, I also had to do a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> Right now, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with glxinfo
> Here is the output:
> name of display: :0.0
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ": 0.0".
> Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
>
>    visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
>  id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> 0x21 24 tc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ": 0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> 0x39 32 tc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> There is definitely something wrong here, but I have no idea how to go
> about fixing it
>
> Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

Well, the nv driver is not capable of gl acceleration so glxinfo gives
you the results you're seeing. The point was to try and get you back to
a working X installation (sans 3D acceleration for now) and then proceed
in getting the nvidia binary driver installed so that accelerated gl
support can be enabled.

Am I right in assuming that you've got a graphical display and can login
to gnome now?

--
sktsee