problem with Xorg

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Jul 6 18:09:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 12:23 -0400, Jimmy Wu wrote: [snip]

> Also, the boot screen gives me these messages about the X server:
> Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module is version 1.0.7184, but
> this X module is version 1.0.7185.  Please be sure that your kernel
> module and all NVIDIA driver files have the same driver version.

You're getting that message because the nvidia kernel module that was
installed with the linux-restricted-modules package (1.0-7184) is being
loaded at boot time along with the nvidia xorg driver (1.0-7185) that
you installed with the nvidia-installer
(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7185-pkg1.run) program which gets loaded when gdm
starts X. As the error message indicates, the kernel module and xorg
driver have to match versions.

If you are going to use the Nvidia provided 7185 driver, then you have
to edit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common and put the line
"DISABLED_MODULES="nv" at the bottom. That will prevent the lrm-manager
from linking and loading the linux-restricted-modules version of the
nvidia kernel module and allow the Nvidia provided version to load.

Frankly, though I would just try to get X working again before messing
with getting gl acceleration turned on. Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file to replace "nvidia" with "nv" on the "Driver" line under the
"Device" section and restart gdm. If X starts without any errors, then
you can move on to trying to get the nvidia drivers installed.

--
sktsee