Webcam recommendation for Feisty?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Thu Jul 5 21:11:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007, Charlie Zender wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to purchase a web cam to use with my Ubuntu Feisty laptop
> (Intel x86). I have been unable to determine what webcams are
> known to work "out of the box" with Feisty. Would someone who has
> a working setup with a relatively new (and thus still for sale)
> webcam on Feisty please post the manufacturer/model information?
>
> Video quality does not need to be excellent, just sufficient for
> video meetings. Main application will be video conferences via
> GnomeMeeting/Ekiga.

Personally, I would go for a net-cam.  That is, a cam that will do it's own
upload via ftp of the pictures it takes.   I have two of them, a Star-Dot
Tech  Cam   and an Axis 2100.   Both have worked flawlessly over the past
several years and with nary a thought to the OS being used.

All you have to do is to set up ftp on your system.