Password/Username Prompt with Window network share!?!

Chris ubuntu at eportel.com
Tue Jul 3 12:48:32 UTC 2007

Hello all,
I'm testing Xubuntu with the Alt CD on an old PC (Intel 810 chipset,
Celeron 600Mhz, 196MB RAM) and it works great!  I can't beleive how well
this "light" version of what seems like Gnome with a different window
manager>

Anyway..I'm try to share out a folder or any resource that I can
transfer about 10GB of music to.  The issue is I can't seem to find the
controls to do this.

I installed SMB and NTS, then opened a new folder on the Desktop.  Right
click and set the permissions and everything else that it look I can
set. I can't seem to find the place where you can set up Public or
Simple file sharing to open up the permissions so you don't need a
password or user name.

I go to the Window XP machine...I can see this machine in the View
Workgroup Computer....but when I click on it it prompts me on a user
name and password?  What user name and password is it looking for.  I
tried the name of the Windows machine's password and user name...and the
username and password of the Xubuntu that I'm trying to connect to and
it won't let me in??

Where are all the equivilent controls for Xubuntu that Gnome has?
I've been working on this for 3 days now....doesn't anybody know what
the deal is with this?

Thanks everybody,
Chris