rsync clone - ubuntu failure

Matthew Carpenter matt at eisgr.com
Mon Jul 2 20:50:56 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007, dave selby wrote:
> I need to move my ubuntu to a different HDD, smaller capacity but
> faster. Oh yes I am using nowhere near the 80GB of my new drive :)
>
> my existing drive is 160GB hda
> my new drive is 80GB hdb
>
> boot knoppix, mount drives and ...
>
> rsync -aHxq /mnt/hda1 /mnt/hdb1
>
> no error messages shown - all good, change jumpers of hdb from slave to
> master
>
> put new HDD in master slot, boot, enters GRUB menu, bootsplash starts
> and freezes. Boot into single user diagnostic mode ...
>
> kernel boots, runs through a ton of startup script then gets to
>
> USB mass storage registration ...
> sd 2:0:0:3 attatched scsi generic sg3 type 0
> and hangs :(
>
> OK ... so I cleared & re- rsynced the drive, did the jumpers - same
> result. Im stuck, looks to all the world like its a clone but
> mysteriously fails in the kernel.

Possibly stupid question, but what did you do with the original hda?
disconnect completely?  disconnect power?

Are you certain your bootloader is identical?

Do you have and LVM/RAID partitions?  Moving these around can cause
significant boot lag (like, it took me days to figure out my box wasn't just
hanging...

Just thoughts.  Not sure what you may not be including :)  Are you running
without quiet?  Is it a hard-lockup?  What specifics can you add?  When
boot-issues cause a mysterious "lock", often there is some indicator, or it
happens very soon in the boot process... which doesn't describe your problem.
You are making it through many scripts, as you say.

Are you running an IDE drive that requires that you leave the jumper off
completely?  Some behave strangely when the Master jumper is set.

Can you simplify the problem?  Maybe try changing to boot from runlevel 4,
then hack up rl4 to be empty or something along those lines.