[Fwd: Permission issues with CD-ROM]

Darryl LeCount darryl at jamyskis.net
Sun Jul 1 10:49:33 UTC 2007

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

> What are the permissions for the real device that /dev/cdrom points to?
> On my system (edgy), I have:
> tim at marvin:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom* /dev/hdc*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      3 2007-06-12 17:56 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 2007-06-12 17:56 /dev/hdc

Mine's the same as yours.

> Are you a member of the cdrom group? I.e. does the command
> 	id -a
> list cdrom as one of the groups?

I am indeed.

I've had a tweak around and can now manually mount, unmount the CD-ROM
from the command line. However: if I leave a CD-ROM in and reboot, the
CD is mounted as root and I can't get it out without sudo eject. Also,
the desktop CD icon doesn't show up unless I boot up with the CD in the
drive, which means of course it's mounted as root and can only be
ejected from the command line. Once I do eject the CD-ROM from the drive
as root, the desktop icon just stays there and assumes that I still have
the CD in.

Darryl

--
Darryl LeCount
www.jamyskis.net
darryl at jamyskis.net

PGP Key: 1E94A0F1
To confirm the authenticity of this mail, add this key to your PGP keyring.
Um den Ursprung dieses E-Mails zu bestätigen, bitte diesen Schüssel in Ihren PGP-Schlüsselbund einfügen.
Pour vérifier l'authenticité de ce courriel, ajoutez ce clé à votre porte-clés PGP.