Preview While Browsing Directories

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Jan 31 21:03:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 16:29 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sorry, but no.  You're doing what I was afraid of.  This is the UBUNTU
> discussion list.  Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, etc, users are all welcome
> here.

Of course they are all welcome here. But you do realize that there is no
Gnubuntu, yes? If you install Ubuntu, it has Gnome. If you go to
ubuntu.com and click download, you will download Ubuntu, with Gnome.
{K,X,Edu}buntu are listed as "related projects" on the Ubuntu site. To
download them you need to got the their respective websites.
If you don't like that you should probably go complain to Canonical.

> I, too, but you can not insist that all posters here must be using Gnome
> defaults.

I don't insist. I just state that if somebody says "I use Ubuntu", or
says nothing in particular, I will give the Gnome answer instead of
asking every single time "what do you use" before I can give an answer
at all.

If someone is unhappy with the reply they are free to reply with "but I
use <whatever>"

> Users who don't actually know what's available in the default
> file manager windows quite probably don't even realize they could have
> chosen different desktops.

Users who don't know that they can choose something else will use the
default which is, I repeat myself, Gnome and in this particular case,
Nautilus. Because to get something else you need to go out of your way
and to {k,x,edu}ubuntu.org.

If the OP didn't find the option in the menu he could have said so and
it would have been resolved.

> In my case, I read your original reply and promptly thought "_any_ file
> manager?" and resolved to check in konqueror.

You? I find it hard to believe that, since you are very knowledgeable.
Did you think mc has the option too? ;)

> I have a problem with people telling _Ubuntu_
> users not to bring their problems here.

Which I clearly didn't do. I just said that unless something different
is stated, I will assume Ubuntu/Gnome defaults. I will not double my
amount of postings by asking "what do you use" before answering.

Regards,