running windows via kvm module -- any experiences?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 30 23:06:05 UTC 2007

Hi there,

My girlfriend is buying a new computer a month or two from now and I'm
hoping to convince her to let me install ubuntu feisty on it, and set up
a windows VM using the new KVM module and rdesktop.  The idea of the VM
is to let her use software she feels she 'really needs' -- right now,
this is MS Office, endnote and Dreamweaver (I'd like to make all 3
disappear, but that's another, longer-term project).

Her main objection right now is that the person trying to convince her
is a known linux ideologue who spends hours at a time hacking on his
machine, and that she has no interest whatsoever in hacking -- she just
wants her computer to work for her in a fully transparent way.

So I am looking for stories from people who have done this successfully,
and if possible some web postings that explain how easy it is to do, who
transparently it works, and how happy customers are when they get a look
at the superior OS which is GNUlinux (or ubuntu, or gentoo, or debian,
or whatever).  cross-posting to the 3 communities I sort of belong to
(ubuntu, debian, toronto lug), sorry if you get multiple copies.

Thanks loads!  Looking forward to lots of success stories,

Matt

--
Matt Price
History Dept