whois microsoft

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Jan 30 20:39:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 21:24 +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> which is the most right part of the domain, or not?
> If not i don´t understand that whois at all, it seems. :/

I'm no whois expert for sure, but to me it does not seem as if  "whois
microsoft.com" in specifies a domain. See "man whois":

--------
whois [ -h HOST ] [ -p  PORT ] [ -aCFHlLMmrRSVx ] [ -g
SOURCE:FIRST-LAST ] [ -i ATTR ] [ -S SOURCE ] [ -T TYPE ] object

(...)

DESCRIPTION
       whois searches for an object in a RFC 3912 database.

       This  version  of  the  whois  client  tries to guess the right
server to ask for the specified object.
(...)
--------

RFC 3912 unfortunately also does not specify what an "object" is. IT
seems to me that for the microsoft.com.* examples we found, someone went
to the lengths of actually registering those server names with the whois
database, while the same is not true for help.ubuntu.com.

See also what you get for "whois apple.com", similar thing.