What is wrong with this ps -eux| grep firefox

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 30 13:01:26 UTC 2007

OOzy Pal wrote:

> Firefox would not start. FF icon jumps up and down then disapear so I
> want to kill its process. I did this :
>
>  ps -eux| grep firefox
>
> but i am getting unreadable info.

If you try a 'ps -eux > ps.txt' then open ps.txt it may become
clearer. The first line is probably an error which says the '-' is
ignored because '-eu' is a bogus option. That means you're really
issuing a 'ps eux', Which in common language means you're telling ps
to print out every processes environment as well (the 'e' option). It's
those long lines of environment information wrapping on your screen
that make things look "unreadable".

And yes, ps is that picky and convoluted. Try a 'man ps' and give us
your opinion. ;)

Anyway, if you add a space like this... 'ps -e ux | grep firefox" you'll
get a more sane output. Or try something like 'ps aux | grep firefox'.
Or even better, if you want to nuke firefox just use a 'killall
firefox'. :)

--
     _ _      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.