Thunderbird and reply-to-list

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 30 05:56:53 UTC 2007

Lorin Pino wrote:

> Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     Is Ubuntu's Thunderbird compiled to enable the reply-to-list
> > extension located here:
> > http://alumnit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=ReplyToListThunderbirdExtension
> >
> >     I know that Debian's version is patched to allow that extension
> > to work but thus far Ubuntu's hasn't been functional.
> >

> I don't understand the need.  I want to reply to the list, I click on
> reply (not reply all), and the message will be sent to the list.
> Isn't that what it is supposed to do?

It is, and it will happen that way using Thunderbird if the list
software makes sure there's a proper Reply-To header pointing to the
list submission address. A lot of lists don't do that. This one does.
The very active Python mailing lists do not, for instance.

Some mail clients can be told to dig a little deeper than Reply-To in
the form of a "Reply to List" option which scans for headers like
List-Post, X-Been-There, etc. It's a *most* useful option if you
participate in a lot of mailing lists. Without it you're often finding
yourself replying either to "everyone", or directly to the person whose
post you're replying to. :(

--
     _ _      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.