Problems with apt-get update - GPG erros

Lorin Pino ljpino at grm.net
Tue Jan 30 04:41:58 UTC 2007

Paul Thompson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting this messages when I run apt-get update -
>
> Ign http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-backports/main Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-backports/restricted Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-backports/universe Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/universe Translation-en_NZ
> Ign http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com edgy-backports/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
> Err http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release
>
> W: GPG error: http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release: The
> following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu
> Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
>
> Running apt-get update does not fix the problem. I realise that I need
> to update the GPG key but do not know how to do it.
>
> Guidance on this matter would be most appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul Thompson

I am using 6.06, so things may be different.  I have
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg file that is dated today.  There is also
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg~ that is a backup dated from 05-08-2006.  If you
have a backup from before the trouble started, maybe you could revert
and see if it helps?

You might also check this link:
http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/ubuntu-traffic/u20041126_14.html#8
If there is an updated version of this around, it is supposed to have
the keys?  Unless I am misunderstanding things.  Good luck.
~Lorin