odd apt behavior

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Mon Jan 29 19:40:13 UTC 2007

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:29:25 -0500
> John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm including the sources.list file here (which is the same on both
>> machines) for reference.

<snip>

> The only reference to "multiverse" that I see here is in the backports
> section, which is commented out. I suggest that you add the word
> "multiverse" to your "universe" " updates" and "security universe" lines,
> and try again with "sudo apt-get update" then try searching for your
> sun-java5" packages again... You will also probably want to add "universe"
> to the "updates" section as well.
>
> Java is in the the multiverse repository.
>
> Peter

I will add my guess for why java shows up on one machine and not the
other.  I would guess that you installed java from a set of deb files on
the one machine, or that you temporarily enabled multiverse to install
java.  If you disabled multiverse after installing java, the packages
would be on your system, and thus show up in an apt-cache search, but
you would be getting the information from the installed packages, rather
than the repository listings.

-Matt