Weird GNOME behaviour (in Dapper and Edgy)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 29 14:31:28 UTC 2007

Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 12:12:01PM +0100, Severin Schoepke wrote:
>> > On 11/19/06, *Severin Schoepke* <severin.schoepke at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:severin.schoepke at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >     But I have a weird problem with both installations: Sometimes Gnome
>> >     doesn't allow the creation of new windows: When I'm working and
>> >     want to start a new app or open a folder, it happens from time
>> >     to time that the app/folder is not started/opened. There's a new
>> >     entry in the task bar in the likes of 'Mozilla Firefox wird
>> >     gestartet...' (FF is being started in english) that just
>> >     disappears after a few seconds. I then can't start applications,
>> >     be it via the start menu, a panel launcher, a starter on the
>> >     desktop or from a terminal that is already open... Then
>> >     suddenly, after 10 minutes or so, the apps finally start/the
>> >     windows get opened...
>
> That's strange.  Something like this might happen if your loopback
> network interface is not mounted.  Could you send us the output of
> 'ifconfig'?

In recent months, my loopback device has NOT been started at boot time.  I
can't figure out why.  It's been "ifup"ed, because if I try "sudo ifup lo"
I get told it's already up, but it has no IP, so I either have to do "sudo
ifdown lo; sudo ifup lo" or "sudo ifconfig lo up".  It's annoying, because
I can't even access a console through ssh until I have a loopback device.

My /etc/network/interfaces is simplicity itself, so I can't see that being
the problem, either:
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
(all other interfaces are controlled by Network-Manager).
--
derek