VNC Server

Olivier Picquenot oli at aurait.eu
Fri Jan 26 13:55:18 UTC 2007

Dick Dowdell a écrit :
> I would like to use VNC to manage a remote Ubuntu 6.0 Server.  I assume
> that I will need to install X11 as well as the VNC server.  I'm new to
> Linux and could use guidance from anyone who has the requisite knowledge.
>
> Regards,
> Dick Dowdell

You can install it using apt-get, vnc4server is included in universe
repository.
A simple "apt-get install vnc4server" will install everything needed.

But, as vnc is rather slow and uncrypted, I'd suggest:
- Trying Nomachine NX or FreeNX
- Using SSH / SSH -X

Anyway, why would you need a graphical environment to manage a remote
server ?

Regards,
Olivier Picquenot