Athlon 64 stability issues?

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Thu Jan 25 21:58:37 UTC 2007

mike at dawgdayz.com wrote:
> Memory seems unlikely to me. It passes memcheck with just one dimm
> installed, but it still won't boot from the live cd. I let memcheck
> run on that one dimm for a couple of hours last night, and it passed
> all tests 4 times. If it's crashed when I get I'll try to swap the
> stick that's still in for the one I removed to see if that helps.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> On 1/25/07, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
>> On 1/25/07, Mike Payson <mike at dawgdayz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been plagued with frequent lockups.
>> This sounds like a memory problem. I see you ran memcheck, but run it
>> again on each of the SIMMs. You want to be absolutely sure they are OK
>> before you try anything else.
>>
>> --
>>   Colin Brace
>>   Amsterdam
>>
>> --

I'd also say that memory problems would be highlighted when the machine
is heavily loaded, not when it's "at rest". Consider disconnecting
anything and everything non-vital. That means the cd/dvd drives, and
expansion card excluding the graphics (natch), just one stick of memory,
  and then do your best to replicate the problem. If the problem still
persists then it is obvious it is either the cpu, mainboard, HDD, or
graphics. The memory has been excluded because you checked it with
memtest. The HDD can be checked using badblocks, try running that from
knoppix or something  (f course reconnecting the cd/dvd).
It could be that ubuntu is trying to put the computer components in to a
low power state and there is some incompatibility with that. Try
removing the graphics drivers and using the generic ones. Just eliminate
one component at a time.