ATI cards and the "fglrx" driver

Lachlan Musicman lachlan.simpson at wilderness.org.au
Wed Jan 24 22:30:29 UTC 2007

Cheers - it does seem to work.

Now, I have another problem.

Over on this thread there seems to be some success:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303013&page=2&highlight=ATI+beryl+X1300

I'm not sure what all this glxgears is that people are talking about,
but a new x session gave me all the prettiness that I've been seeing
in the youtube clips - wavy terminals, crazy block desktops and lots
of nice movement.

I'm running edgy 6.10 on the dell dimension 9200 with 256M ATI X1300
on flgrx drivers.

One thing - I did get a bug report pop up and response with that was
slow. I don't know where to post it? Should it go here, in the ubuntu
bugtracker or the beryl bug tracker?

please find report attached if you can help me help us?

On 1/24/07, Rutger van Haasteren <vhaasteren at gmail.com> wrote:
> The bottom one is adjusted by the aticonfig command from the first howto. So
> you don't have to do anything anymore. You are done. Check it with the
> fglrxinfo command. It will say you are using the fglrx ati driver. Good
> luck!
>
> Rutger
>

> On 1/24/07, musicman <datakid at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hola all,  long time lurker, first time poster - I've only just got my
> > edgy install up and running.
> >
> > I've been using linux on and off for a few years, but this is the
> > first real install I'm happy with.
> >
> > So, I've got this ATI video card (256MB PCIe x16 ATI Radeon X1300 Pro)
> > and I'm in the process of installing beryl.
> >
> > When I first installed, I had trouble getting resolutions greater than
> > 1024*786. After some searching I found this howto:
> >
> http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation_Guide
>  and
> > managed to get 1280*1024
> >
> > According to
> http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/3d-desktop-beryl-and-xgl-on-ubuntu-edgy.html
> > I should be looking in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for Driver, and replace all
> > vesa etc with fglrx
> >
> > this is what I found:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier  "ATI Technologies, Inc. ATI Default Card"
> >         Driver      "vesa"
> >         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
> >         Driver      "fglrx"
> >         Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
> >         Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
> > EndSection
> >

> > my question is - should I be replacing the top entry as well as the
> > second entry? The second entry was already like that...
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > L.
> >

> > --
> > Tip: Masturbate less more often