ATI cards and the "fglrx" driver

musicman datakid at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 08:56:57 UTC 2007

Hola all,  long time lurker, first time poster - I've only just got my
edgy install up and running.

I've been using linux on and off for a few years, but this is the
first real install I'm happy with.

So, I've got this ATI video card (256MB PCIe x16 ATI Radeon X1300 Pro)
and I'm in the process of installing beryl.

When I first installed, I had trouble getting resolutions greater than
1024*786. After some searching I found this howto:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation_Guide  and
managed to get 1280*1024

According to http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/3d-desktop-beryl-and-xgl-on-ubuntu-edgy.html
I should be looking in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for Driver, and replace all
vesa etc with fglrx

this is what I found:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATI Technologies, Inc. ATI Default Card"
        Driver      "vesa"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
EndSection

my question is - should I be replacing the top entry as well as the
second entry? The second entry was already like that...

Cheers

L.

--
Tip: Masturbate less more often