ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X / 2X (RE Post)

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 05:34:54 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, WP <digitalimages at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> First let me say that I am a new, and I mean new....Linux user so I have
> no
> experience whatever with using this operating
> system.  I am trying to get a Linux box ready to use EMC in my machine
> shop.
> I have an old  Dell Optiplex GX1 that has a Pentium III 500 processor and
> 448 mg of ram. It has an on board ATI 3D Rage ProAGP 1x/2x graphics card.
> I am using this with a 15" Dell flat pannel monitor.
> I installed Ubuntu 6.06 from CD that was sent from Ubuntu. The problem
> that I am having is that the only resolution that is available for the
> monitor is 640 x 480 and I know that this card and monitor should run at
> higher
> resolutions than this.
> Please remember in your responses that I know nothing about using
> Linux....so try to make any suggestions as simple and clear as possible.
> Thank you in advance for any assistance...

Hi WP,

I cannot say for sure this will help you, but I had a similar result (only
640x480 resolution) when I switched monitors with a computer that had been
running at a highre resolution.

Here is a snip from the X11 configuration file:
[snip]
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
[/snip]

In my case, all I had to do was run the command listed in the last line
above.  The "sudo" part means you'll need an account with admin
priveledges.  Do NOT run this command until you have made a backup copy of
this file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
You can do that by copying and pasting it with a new name, like "
xorg.conf_ORIG" or something.  If you end up with no graphics, you'll need
to replace your new file with the old one.
cd /etc/X11
sudo mv xorg.conf_ORIG xorg.conf

Hopefully, you won't need that, but if you are just beginning to set up the
computer, maybe you don't mind experimenting a little.  Bottom line, running
the command above was all it took for me:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

HTH,
--
http://kimbriggs.com