Why is adding a new Ubuntu PC to an existing LAN such a pain?

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 05:16:36 UTC 2007

On 1/20/07, John R Cichy <john at greengator.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 23:26 +0000, Bob Adams wrote:
>

> > >How are you getting your IP address initially? Do you have a DHCP
> server
> > >running?
> > >
> > No, no DHCP server present so I'm using (or trying to) static addresses.
> > This is quite likely the reason for the hangs (Ubuntu assumes a server
> > will be present which is not a really good idea.)
> >
> During the install you are given the choice to use static or DHCP, you
> should be putting your static in at this time.

I have installed the last 3 Ubuntu desktop releases on multiple machines and
this is definitely NOT the case.  The install assumes DHCP every time and
every time I have to go back and change it.

It seems to be for a small home network that I have that having static IP
addresses is benificial.  I have a network printer and when doing tests with
webservers, database servers, ssh, etc., it seems easier to be able to put
in a known IP than have to maintain local DNS-type stuff.

That said, it has never been a pain.  Once it's installed and I change the
network setting from the Administration menu, I have never had a problem
after that.(?)

--
http://kimbriggs.com