java JRE upgrade 10 does not work

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 23 17:43:11 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Bram Kuijper wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I upgraded my Java runtime environment to update 10, but ubuntu
>> apparently does not use the new version, even after running sudo
>> update-alternatives --config java. It still uses update 9, instead.
>>

>> Here is what I did:
>> I followed the following instructions to create a package from sun's
>> binary files:
>> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_install_JRE_v5.0_Update_10
>>
>> then, I successfully installed the package:
>
> So much easier just to fetch the 1.6 package from Feisty!

which, fwiw, I just did:

- change "edgy" to "feisty" in /etc/apt/sources.list
- sudo aptitude update
- sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jdk
(or you could just install sun-java5-jdk which would replace your existing
one with update 10)
- change "feisty" to "edgy" in /etc/apt/sources.list
- sudo aptitude update

done
--
derek