Can't get grip to normalize between ripping and encoding tracks.

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 15:53:30 UTC 2007

I'm using the packages grip 3.3.1-6build2 and normalize-audio 0.7.6-7,
but this problem has been going on for a while (back when I used
Debian).

In grip's Config->Rip->Ripper pane, I have the "Calculate gain
adjustment" checked, and in Config->Rip->Options in "Wav filter
command" I have entered

   /usr/bin/normalize-audio -a -20dB %f

which has the correct path and options (and works from the command
line).  (I've also tried it without %f but I think that's correct.)

Grip, however, is doing something wrong.  The resulting MP3s have
various levels that are not even close to -20dB but are the same as
the wav files.  I think grip is trying to call normalize-audio because
the access time shown by `stat /usr/bin/normalize-audio` keeps getting
update as grip moves through the CD tracks.

Any debugging tips?
Does this work for anyone else?

Thanks,
Adam