IP Alias

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 22 14:26:40 UTC 2007

Johannes Kolde wrote:

> IsomerX schrieb:
>>
>> though, oddly enough... I do -not- have an eth0, though it doesn't work
>> if rename the card as eth0...
>>
>> Since that came up... how do I change this card to be eth0?  I had
>> another card at install time, that was named eth0, though I later
>> removed it.
>>
> look at /etc/iftab

In fact, I would suggest just renaming/removing /etc/iftab.  I don't have
one and everything works fine even though occasionally my wireless & wired
nics come up switched (but that works because they're both DHCP).  In your
case, it's presumably enforcing the original MAC address to be eth0.
--
derek