korn 93 for ubuntu edgy

Jonathan Nelson ciasaboark at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 05:49:50 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 13:18, reader at newsguy.com wrote:
> "Ralph Thaller" <ralph.thaller at gmail.com> writes:
> > you can search for packages with apt-cache search foobar.
>
> Thanks Ralph...
> If it turns up no hits on korn then does it mean no Korn shell package
> is available? Not from contributors or the like at least.
>
> That is, is running `apt-cache search pkg' really an exhaustive search?
> Do I need special listings in sources.list to find something like a
> user contributed package?
>
> Do you know specifically if there is a ksh-93 package available?

Looks like there is a version for edgy in universe (which may not be enabled
by default).

ciasa at raven:~$ apt-cache search korn
bash-minimal - The GNU Bourne Again SHell (minimal version)
bash-static - The GNU Bourne Again SHell (static version)
korn - KDE mail checker
ksh - The real, AT&T version of the Korn shell
kxterm - Cernlib's KUIP terminal emulator
libshell-posix-select-perl - The POSIX Shell's "select" loop for Perl
mksh - enhanced version of the Korn shell
bash - The GNU Bourne Again SHell
bash-doc - Documentation and examples for the The GNU Bourne Again SHell
exuberant-ctags - build tag file indexes of source code definitions
apdksh - A public domain version of the Korn shell
ciasa at raven:~$ apt-cache show ksh
Package: ksh
<snip ...>
Version: 93r-1
<... snip>
 Ksh is a UNIX command interpreter (shell) that is intended for both
 interactive and shell script use. Its command language is a superset of
 the sh(1) shell language.
 .
 The 1993 version adds a number of new, mostly scripting related,
 features over the 1988 version that is typically distributed with
 commercial UNIX variants. For example, it has lexical scoping, compound
 variables, associative arrays, named references and floating point
 math.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

Try adding 'universe' to your apt sources:
ciasa at raven:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list|grep universe
## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe main restricted multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe

--
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.

Jonathan Nelson [icq=56665957] [aim=ciasaboark]