Why is adding a new Ubuntu PC to an existing LAN such a pain?

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Jan 21 20:59:46 UTC 2007

In message <1169404106.5122.128.camel at chronic>, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic at dantian.org> writes
>On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 18:17 +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
>> I've always set static addresses at install-time for my Ubuntu boxes.
>
>Alternate Install CD, yes. Desktop CD, no :)

Nope, I've always used the bog standard install disk. It's a while since
I've done an install so I can't remember at which point I need to enter
the network details. I've always booted into the live version then
installed from there, I'm not sure whether that makes a difference.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com