add/remove software

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 21 20:16:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:55:22 -0500
Erik Schmidt <eschmidt90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy/main/binary-powerpc/Packages.gz  Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> Reading package lists... Done
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.

*sigh* don't know why you are getting this.

I assume your machine is a PPC architecture ( mac or similar )

Perhaps try removing the "us." prefix from your sources.list lines , re-run

sudo apt-get update

then try again  with build-essential ( I only looked at this quickly, but
it seems only the "main" repository is having trouble with Packages.gz )

maybe someone else will see something I'm missing here....

Peter