gnome loggin me out

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Sun Jan 21 17:42:41 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 09:34 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 21:50 -0600, William Stephens wrote:
> > I just did the memtest from grub menu and got zero errors. Thanks for
> > the suggestion.
> >

> How long did you run it for?
>
> I have seen systems report okay after a few hours, but leave memtest for
> longer and it fails.
>
> I would recommend running memtest for at least 24 hours to be confident
> it isn't memory-related.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
Don't know if this is related, but I had a problem exactly like that
except that it turned out to be related to the xscreensaver.  There's a
screensaver that is totally broke in Ubuntu (superquad something), that
no one seems to want to take ownership for.  If your screensaver is set
to random mode (and it appears it is by default), when this screensaver
comes on, or is selected for previewing, it will drop the gnome session
and log you out.  Once selected in the desktop it cannot be de-selected.
It must be dealt with manually.