anacron and cron and laptop usage

Georg Sauthoff g_sauthoff at web.de
Sat Jan 20 20:43:07 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-18, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> ben darby wrote:

>> * Bill Marcum wrote:
>>> Look at /etc/cron.d/anacron.  That is supposed to ensure that anacron
>>> runs even if the computer is not booted once a day.  The problem is that
>>> anacron might not run if the machine is suspended.  The OP might
>>> consider replacing anacron with fcron.

>> that problem was fixed with the introduction of the
>> /etc/acpi/resume.d/85-anacron.sh script

> Funny, I have that on my system - it's never done a thing...

Yes -  same situation at this system:
# grep anacron /var/log/syslog | tail -1
Jan 10 11:09:25 tp anacron[7458]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
# date
Sat Jan 20 21:27:33 CET 2007

And my laptop was several times resumed from ram - while connected at AC
- after Jan 10.

My first guess was that run-parts was used by acpid, and thus
anacron.sh got excluded because of the dot in the filename.

But that is not the case - a for loop is used inside /etc/acpi/resume.sh.

/etc/acpi/sleep.sh seems to be the problem:
# If gnome-power-manager or klaptopdaemon are running, let them handle
# policy
if [ x$1 != xforce ] && [ x$1 != xsleep ] && [ `CheckPolicy` = 0 ]; then
   exit;
fi
[..]
# Generic wakeup code
. /etc/acpi/resume.sh

And yes - I am running kde - and thus the generic wakeup included
anacron calls isn't executed.

Grml - I'll write a bug report.

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff