segmentation fault question

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Fri Jan 19 10:05:10 UTC 2007

R Kimber wrote:
> I run Ubuntu 6.06.1, updated, on amd64x2.

> Today several apps (Mozilla, Bluefish, Pan, Sylpheed) segfaulted
> and would not start.

> Rebooting solved the problem.

Did you reboot after the upgrade or did the segfault appear before the
first reboot? I had a similar issue some time back when the central libc
was upgraded. I *think* it had something to do with that, if the reboot
fixed it, it should be ok again. Usually a reboot is only required for a
new kernel (and I *think* it's advised after a - major - libc upgrade).

Just my look into the crystal ball.

Carsten