network-manager

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Fri Jan 19 04:13:19 UTC 2007

John Dangler said the following on 01/12/2007 06:48 PM:
> Ok. Now I'm just pissed off.  After fooling with network-manager,
> finding out it doesn't work with static addresses and removing it, my
> networking on my laptop is hosed completely.
>
> >From a fresh boot of the machine, networking comes up for about 5
> minutes, then dies.  skype, gaim just log off and cannot log back in.
> No internet access whatsoever.
>
> I'm not sure what has happened.  Anyone have a clue as to how I can fix
> this (aside from a re-install)

John,
Don't know if you got it fixed or not, but here's my
/etc/network/interfaces file:
#######################

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
auto eth0

iface ath0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid stoneypoint

auto ath0

Set your router to be a dhcp server and forget about the static ip.  I
quit using static addresses, except for a few servers, years ago.

Try using the network configuration manager to setup a new location for
the wireless, and one for the wired, both using dhcp.

HTH,
Alex

--
Ubuntu 6.10 on a Dell 1100 Inspiron