What's happened to the, "System," menu in Feisty?

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 22:58:50 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 15:04 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > Janne Jokitalo <janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net>  said:
> > >
> > > I'm not inside Feisty right now, but in my install there is Gnome
> > > control centre.
> >
> > Yes, it needed the X server restarted in order for that to show up.
> > Now that I've done so, there it is!

> > > I suppose it's inside the control centre.
> >
> > Yep.

> > > That's funny, cause I don't recall seeing a Debian menu item at all.
> > > Could it be that it still locates at Applications menu?
> >
> > It isn't there by default but is installable.  I needed it because some
> > things just don't seem to show up in the GNOME menu.

> > > No comment, as I have not been a part of this in least bit. For the
> > > record, I thought it's a bit uncomfortable, but I hardly ever use any
> > > part of them in the first place. Just tweak my usual keyboard
> > > shortcuts, and I can forget about the menus. :)
> > >
> > Ah, well, I'm a menu-driven fool.
> sounds too much like "Control Panel" from that other OS ...
> I like the way the gnome menu system is organized, and don't see a
> reason to change it, unless Ubuntu is purposely trying to be the
> "Microsoft-esque" distro of Linux (which I hope is not the case)...
>

> > Cybe R. Wizard
> > --
> > Press 'START' to stop
> >       Winduhs

It's much better, since I think the Administrator & Preferences menu had
been over stuffed with confusing functionalities.

The new libslab-based Control Center had been organized in different
categories,
(Look & Feel, Hardware, Personal, System), which is really a better approach
towards usability, specially on people new to Ubuntu.

The changes is really new, It's not bad, I think people will be used to it
just like any other changes.

Joel

--
Carpe Diem