anacron and cron and laptop usage

Georg Sauthoff g_sauthoff at web.de
Wed Jan 17 15:44:44 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-16, ben darby <ben at cvrse.com> wrote:

Hi,

>> Or one could use a cron daemon, where you are able to specify execution
>> times like '7.30h or first time after that, but only once a day'. If the
>> daemon uses sleep(3) this behaviour should be trivial to implement.

> this already exists anacron and what it was specifically designed for,
> have you read 'man anacron'?

sure - no offense, but do you have read this thread? Or what passage of
the man page are you referring to?

To repeat the issue: I _am_ using anacron. With the default config anacron
is only started at system startup and at 7:30 AM once a day, but only if
the computer is running at that time. Thus if you only suspend your
computer all the time - and it is never online at 7:30 - anacron is
never ran again. I.e. anacron needs to run at least one time a day.

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff