Avidmux too clunky is Cinerra for me?

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Wed Jan 17 15:22:18 UTC 2007

Ben Edwards wrote:
> I have in the past used various video editing systems such as Avid,
> Final Cut Pro, SpeedRazer).  I wanted something to chop out adverts of
> xvid .avi files I have created on my MythTV box (a linux system for
> recording TV).
>
> I have been using avidemux which works but is very fiddly.  The good
> thing about it is it is very quick to save the final .avi (it douse
> not have to re-encode the whole thing, it can simply copies from the
> original).  It is possible to 'scrub' to roughly find the begining/end
> of the adverts but then you can only either play at normal speed (not
> backwards), go forward/back 1 frame or forward/back to next key-frame.
>  In all the other systems I have used it is possible to play
> forward/reverse and speed up/slow down from between 1/10 times of
> actual speed.  This means it is fairly quick to get to the frame you
> want and if you overshoot this can be corrected easily.    You can not
> even use the cursor key to move forward back, you have to click on the
> buttons with the mouse.
>
> So I was wondering if Cenerra was the answer.  I guess it has the
> standard 1/10 times forward reverse and allows you to use the cursor
> key to go back/forward.  The question is how quick it is to load/save
> avi files.  Douse it have to convert to load then transcode to save?
>
> Regards,
> Ben

Do you mean cinelerra? I've found cinelerra to be able to do anything
you can do in other, non-free editing packages. It in fact has more
options that I actually need, which makes doing the simple stuff I want
to do somewhat more complicated, since I have to navigate through a
bunch of options.

To do what you describe, I would use kino. But if you plan on getting
fancy later on, maybe you want to spend some time learning how to use
cinelerra.

Jaime J. Davila
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College