kde-systemsettings: fails to remember if repeat rate of keyboard keypresses was changed

Wim Delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Tue Jan 16 20:09:41 UTC 2007

Package: kde-systemsettings
Version: 0.0svn20070104-0ubuntu1
Severity: important

when I start systemsettings to changed the delay for the repeat, I need
to check the 'enable keyboard repeat' checkbox.  Once checked it allows
me to set the delay and rate for the repeat feature.

After changing the values I click on apply to store the settings and quit the systemsettings application.

Strangely enough when I restart the application thereafter the checkbox 'enabled keyboard repeat' is unchecked and the sliders for delay and rate are disabled.

Checking and applying does  not help as each time I restart the checkbox is unchecked again.

Next I tried to do the same but with systemmanager capabilties enabled (I.e. I ran some module that requires for some feature super user rights and then switched to the keyboard settings).  Checking and applying worked as expected and restarting the application properly showed the checkbox checked.

Whether the gettting root capabilities had something to do with it I do not know but I know that i tried to save the delay/rate many times but only when I had root capabilities It was saved.

I checked also the kcminputrc file and afaik the requested settings were stored (but I could not find any reference to the checkbox, just to the delay/rate values)

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 4.0
  APT prefers feisty-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'feisty-updates'), (500, 'feisty-security'), (500, 'feisty')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.20-5-generic
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages kde-systemsettings depends on:
ii  kcontrol       4:3.5.5a.dfsg.1-1ubuntu18 control center for KDE
ii  kdelibs4c2a    4:3.5.5a.dfsg.1-3ubuntu9  core libraries and binaries for al
ii  libc6          2.5-0ubuntu8              GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libgcc1        1:4.1.1-21ubuntu7         GCC support library
ii  libqt3-mt      3:3.3.7-1ubuntu2          Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime v
ii  libstdc++6     4.1.1-21ubuntu7           The GNU Standard C++ Library v3

kde-systemsettings recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information