Getting a tty in vmware (was Re: vmware + ubuntu )

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 08:19:51 UTC 2007

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Peter Garrett wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 03:01:27 +0530
>> "Kamal Paryani" <kamalparyani at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> in vmware i am not able to switch to tty1 using
>>> ctrl+alt+space+f1
>> Open a terminal ( e.g. Applications - Accessories - Terminal in GNOME )
>> Type
>>
>> sudo chvt 1
>>
>> You are dumped to tty 1
>>
>> Login, do your stuff , then
>>
>> sudo chvt 7
>>
>> to return to the desktop, which runs on tty7.
>>
>> The Ctrl-Alt-F1  combo can never work on vmware, since it uses "ctrl-alt"
>> to release "grab" ( at least on vmplayer which is what I was using to test
>> the chvt command).
>>
>> "chvt"  means "change virtual terminal - it requires sudo or root
>> privileges as above.
>>
>> Seemed to work OK here :)
>>
>> Peter
>>
> FYI, you can change the release key "ctrl-alt" in the vmware settings.

According to the VMware server help, typing ctrl-alt-space-F1 is
supposed to send ctrl-alt-F1 to the virtual machine. On mine, I think it
does, but the graphics screen does not disappear and I cannot see what I
am typing on the terminal, but by typing blind, it seems to work. I
successfully restarted GDM this way recently!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold