install CD and fresh installation crashing on launch

Mike Payson mike at dawgdayz.com
Tue Jan 16 06:44:05 UTC 2007

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.1. When I boot from the installer CD the
system completely locks up sometime between the tan background first coming
up (before the x splash screen) and a few seconds after the desktop is
displayed. Using the text based installer worked fine, but the fresh
installation has the exact same problem. I'm guessing it's a video driver
issue (I have an nvidia 6600gt). After asking on IRC, I installed a command
prompt system and attempted to install the nvidia drivers at the command
prompt using 'sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`'
which worked fine, but when I tried to run 'sudo nvidia-glx-config enable' I
got file not found. I also tried booting Ubuntu 6.06 and kubuntu 6.1 with
the same result, but SimplyMEPIS runs fine so I tend to doubt it is a
hardware issue.

So I have a few different questions:
1) Is there a way to force the installation of the nVidia driver at install
time in the text installer?
2) If not, can someone give me better info on how to install the nvidia
drivers from the command prompt?
3) If #2, once the drivers are installed, how do I upgrade to the regular
install from the command prompt only?

I should add that I'm also having trouble getting my networking working (the
text installer at least seems to have problems with wireless networking), so
solutions like envy won't really help me. Other then that, any suggestions
you might have are appreciated. I'm reasonably Linux savvy, but a year or
two out of practice.

Thanks for your help!
Mike