mp3 utilities

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 00:03:36 UTC 2007

squareyes wrote:

> Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> >  Found a little graphical
> > util to convert to MP3 called oddly enough "Sound Converter". Gnome
> > app, I believe it's one of the major repositories as soundconverter.
> > Converts and moves to another directory or uses the same directory,
> > options to keep or save the old file, very simple and easy to work
> > with. You'll of course need all the appropriate codecs, as other
> > people have pointed out.
> >

> Hi, have Sound Converter, will convert to Ogg Vorbis,  Flac, and Wav,
> but not Mp3. Mp3 is "greyed out"
>
> Have I missed something?

You'll need the GStreamer lame plugin from the Multiverse repository.

I'd go ahead and enable Universe and Multiverse by uncommenting them in
your sources.list (assuming they're not already). Invoke this in a
terminal window...

 gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Enter your user password when it asks. There's comments in sources.list
to guide you. Just remove the '#' marks from the beginning of the
appropriate lines. When that's done and saved invoke this in the same
terminal...

 sudo apt-get update

From there the gstreamer plugins should show up with an appropriate
search in Synaptic. If I search for 'lame' it's #10 on my list...

gstreamer0.8-lame

Enjoy!

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.