error logs

Bram Kuijper a.l.w.kuijper at rug.nl
Mon Jan 15 16:39:30 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Sometimes when I am working on my ubuntu box, it seems as if gnome
stops responding: if I fire up a shell, I only see the button "shell
starting" on the toolbar, after which the shell quits. The same for all
other programs, also system manager is not starting up.
Crazily enough, I am still able to run Java programs, with which I can
check the logs. In the gdm log, as well as the xorg log, I cannot find
any warning messages that point to something irregular.

What is the right place to check for log messages if such a thing
happens / how can I find out what's going on if my desktop environment
just calls it a day.

cheers,

Bram