Closure of a previous question and new questions on system security apps...

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Fri Jan 12 02:25:18 UTC 2007

Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> Brian Lunergan wrote:
>
> <snippage>
>
>> Until then I choose to set av and firewall as perimeter defences to
>> deal with any windows based intrusion attempts, and select some of
>> the stronger tools you and Constantine suggested to root out and deal
>> with those that get through into where they are not wanted and not
>> welcome. None of them may have very much to do for some time yet, but
>> I'd rather have them in place to deal with that something when it
>> arises.
>
> But therein lies the rub... the tools Constantine (great post by the
> way) and to a lesser degree, I suggested, aren't more or less
> "powerful" than many of the tools you're use to using on another
> platform. They're simply a different set of tools because the jobs are
> different. By neglecting these new tools in favor of old tools that may
> have served you well for other jobs because you're comfortable with the
> way they feel in your hand, you are running a very real risk of not
> getting a bolt tightened down properly or stripping the threads. :)

Okay, let me rewind and try to phrase it better. I didn't mean to suggest I was
intending to neglect one over the other. I see a role for both. There will be
the Windows based troublemakers and crooks who show up thinking it's a Windows
machine attached to the IP number I'm assigned at that moment. I see the AV and
firewall programs having a role blocking those for the present and being in
place to deal with any future appearance of Linux based trouble makers. I
perhaps skimmed the thought too quickly but I do intend to consider
Constantine's suggestions very carefully and choose a second (but equally
important) line of defence team to monitor for and sweep the field of any
intruders that get through. Both lines of defence important and both will be
chosen with as much care as possible.

I not so trusting that I believe either one set or the other will be flawless
and catch everything that might turn up, but it will be a toolbox that proves to
me that they do a reasonable job at catching the most possible.

--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0702-1, 2007-01-11
Tested on: 2007-01-11 21:25:22