Closure of a previous question and new questions on system security apps...

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Fri Jan 12 01:06:53 UTC 2007

Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> It really is a completely different world, not perfect by any stretch,
> but it does mean that if you're serious about staying secure you have
> to adapt to a new set of rules and procedures. :)

Believe it or not I do understand that I'm venturing into a different territory
and some things (not necessarily all, but some) will have to change and adapt
how I think of computing as I learn more about how to work well with Linux. I do
thank both you and Constantine for some very useful ideas and suggestions.
Slowly but surely I will give consideration to them all and make use of what
fits the reshaped computing me.

Which tools get picked may be a function of those that have a graphic front end
to them. I've worked in both command line and graphic environments (punch card
and batch processing before that) but my preference has turned to the graphic
with less use of the keyboard and more of the rodent. Some of it is driven by
developing disability issues limiting what I can do. So what may enter into a
choice of solution is what might be available in scripting tools and other aids
on Kde or Gnome. I fully expect there will come a point where, if cli is the
only way for something to happen, I may just have to do without.

As to the anti-virus, the firewall, or even the anti-spam function... Do I think
there are valid threats out there now to a Linux setup? No, I'm not that
misinformed or paranoid. Do I think there will never be a need for such
protection simply because Linux is what it is? No, I'm not so trusting as to
believe such a threat will never occur simply because of the platform. At some
point the 'dark forces' will turn their attention to the Linux and Mac platforms
and will find the holes to come in by.

Until then I choose to set av and firewall as perimeter defences to deal with
any windows based intrusion attempts, and select some of the stronger tools you
and Constantine suggested to root out and deal with those that get through into
where they are not wanted and not welcome. None of them may have very much to do
for some time yet, but I'd rather have them in place to deal with that something
when it arises.

--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0702-1, 2007-01-11
Tested on: 2007-01-11 20:06:58